Sunday 19 October 2008

Hollie-Anne Brooks dresses for dancing to The Saturdays.

Last night, as I watched Ruth fight for her place on X Factor, my mum's bloke made a comment about my weight. Sure, I'm no size 8 and I guess I am overly comfort eating in a time of stress over UCAS and my father but I do think there's zero need for comments like the one he made. I cried. My mum comforted me.

The comforting lasted well into today and I refused to be in the same room as her bloke. I admit, I wanted to make him feel bad and I was rather embarrassed at my current body shape, too.

My mum always has a way of making me feel better no matter what; everyday I think of the couple of years after my dad left when it was just the two of us. The house smelt of perfume and lipstick, we ate cheesecake and Chinese food and cried at girly films nearly every night. I miss those times but they're often repeated when it's just the two of us alone in this new home.

After finally giving in and dressing in a striped top and navy cords, my mum dragged me downstairs and presented me with home-made cheesecake- perhaps not the best thing for a girl with major image issues right now but it worked! With my mum's bloke and my brothers out for the day, my mum and I snuggled up on the sofa and watched Sex And The City: The Movie and giggled at how much of a Carrie Bradshaw wannabe I am (who isn't?!).

But it was letting go and listening to BBC Radio 1 that did it for me. Dancing in the kitchen is something I always, always, always do. When I lived alone, I did it. When I moved back home, it was one of the first things I did and no doubt when I go to Uni/move into a penthouse in New York/live in my shabby chic future Persian country house, I'll do the same. Today's choice was "Up" by The Saturdays. I don't care if some people think they're a cheap Girls Aloud/Sugababes/Spice Girls- I. LOVE. THEM! My mother and I have some sexy dance moves and let's face it, you couldn't shake like we do without lots of bootaaaaaaay!

Sunday if often my favourite day to dress for. It's lazy before the office week starts but it's also pretty and girly for Sunday lunch with your granny. And, can I add before I start explaining this outfit, my gorgeous mum loves this ensemble! I love this ChloƩ number, it's perfect for slouching in and yet would look amazing glammed up, I also get the impression it would hide one too many Yorkshire Puddings rather well. Add on some Marc by Marc Jacobs (fabulously priced) skinny jeans; there's not really a more pretty yet casual look that I enjoy more than a dress and jeans. Throw on some gold bangles, an amazing Isharya Filigree that should be a modern classic and then wrap your feet in some Grecian style Topshop sandals. Finally, I would happily lick some rather manky feet for this super pretty Bottega Veneta Butterfly intrecciato bag. Until tomorrow...



Untitled by hollieanne