Tuesday 7 October 2008

Hollie-Anne Brooks dresses for creative writing.

Nice little English Language lecture this morning. Actually, when I say nice I mean rather dull in the form of being given 2 hours and 30 minutes to write a short instructive piece (How To Apply Lipstick was my contribution!), a formal letter (I complained to Dune about the red patent paint coming off my new wedges after one day) and a descriptive piece (based on getting a cab after my boyfriend and I left the Wallpaper* Design Awards in January of this year).

As my lecturer was reading through my rambles on air kissing and Eton accent slurring of "It was lovely to meet you, Hollie daaaarrrrrlling" she gave me a compliment which, at first, I didn't realise how amazing it was. Apparently my descriptive pieces read exactly like F. Scott Fitzgerald (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._Scott_Fitzgerald). I admit, I didn't know who he was! Yup, I can tell you who was in the front row of the Alexander Wang A/W 2008 show but I'm not the most literally read bird. It's not that I don't care, I love to read and will read anything I can get my hands on, but perhaps I enjoy the more fluffy side of things after a long stressful day of sub-editing/feature writing/studying.

My classmates then informed me how much of a wonderful man Mr. F. Scott Fitzgerald actually is and that I should be elated that I have a similar tone and style to him. Wa-hey for me!

So today I'm dressing for creative writing. Hours in coffee shops writing descriptive pieces about a geeky boy who makes it in the Big City, creating ideas for short stories and epic novels, producing characters like the person I've always wanted to be, daydreaming and scribbling every though on the page. Ahh, the art of imagination...

This outfit is indeed eclectic but why not, eh? I do realise that I am a massive La Garçonne geek and I do adore Chloé but how can I help it when they produce these beauties included in the outfit below? The wear with everything La Garçonne dress should be a staple and when paired with the chunky striped Chloé cardie, it's the perfect slouchy working from home outfit. I've added a brilliant pair of Gareth Pugh leggings (possibly the only wearable thing he's ever made) and stuck on a 40s style green trilby to be extra colourful and quirky. Again, it's a selling my granny style situation for this Chloé day bag. Any offers on my darling grandmother? I'll accept in the region of £825. Let the bidding begin!