Sunday 28 December 2008

Hollie-Anne Brooks dresses for 27 Dresses.

My Yummy Mummy I were alone today so spent the afternoon finishing off the tin of chocolates, having chips with melted peanut butter for lunch and watching 27 Dresses. It's been ages since we've done anything like that and it reminded me of all the past Saturdays we'd have when my dad was at the football match (or sleeping with some tart) or when my dad left and it was just the two of us hibernating in our utter disbelief. We must have watched Bridget Jones' Diary a million times.

I'd been wanting to see 27 Dresses for ages and it didn't disappoint. OK, so it was a typical girly film that I should be growing out of by now but I can't help love the idea of being that late 20something who has a crush on an unsuitable man and is then finally swept off her feet by a man she'd never taken any notice of in the past. Yeah, I'm a sucker and believe in the Disney fairytale but after not having the easiest romantic relations in the past 2 years or so, I cling on to hope that my darling Prince Charming will come along and marry me in the garden of our four bedroom country estate. But that's unlikely.

Despite adoring MYB, I still watch the likes of Bridget Jones and think I'll be that sad singleton in my 30s. And there's nothing wrong with that, I loved being single as much as I do being in a relationship, but I need to face the fact that the Prince Charming type blokes are only in movies and that all the hot, romantic, kind AND rich lawyers/journalists/doctors are always taken- whether I'm 19 or 39! Saying that, I have a very hot journalist of my own but one day at a time and all...

Watching 27 Dresses made me think about how many times I've been a bridesmaid. The total so far is 5. That's a lot for my age, right? I'm hoping the next time I'm a bridesmaid will be to my mother and her partner. My farther and Muffin Top? Er...no way! Even when I was 7 and was bridesmaid for an aunt, I'd have people say to me: "Always the bridesmaid and never the bride, Hollie-Anne!". It's clearly been installed in me from a young age that I'll never be a bride myself.

I have a clear stance on having children and people therefore always assume that I'll never want to get married either but that's not the case at all. When Peaches Geldof came out recently said she didn't think marriage always had to last forever (or some such), I found myself firstly disgusted but then in total agreement. I'm not saying I'll be a Joan Collins but I have to face the truth via the fact that my parents were divorced and I'm madly in love with a man who was divorced several years ago. My parents were married for nearly 20 years before they departed ways and I think that's rather beautiful and quite an achievement. People never quite realise that getting married is massively high on my agenda and is not far behind the major career success I crave. OK, so if MYB proposed now I'd totally freak out but in ten years time? Sure. And I'll be wearing an Oscar de la Renta dress and Gina heels- I've promised myself that for years.

With the theme of never being the bride, this outfit fits the bill for a pretty and modern bridesmaid. I admit, I haven't been a bridesmaid for a few years so haven't had to face the horror of disgusting dresses for a while but I never understand the need for all the bridesmaids to look revolting; sure, the bride looks better but I'd rather have super stylish bridesmaids and better looking photos, wouldn't you? Whoever asks me for my bridesmaid skills next should allow me to wear this pretty outfit- I adore the simplicity of golds and peaches. This Tomas Maier is gorgeous and would look perfect at a summer wedding and I've added gold Louboutin shoes, a Roberto Cavalli clutch and some pretty Alex Woo leaf earrings. To finish the look, a gorgeous Gabriel & Co. bracelet and pretty pearl ring.


Always the bridesmaid... by hollieanne