Sunday 23 November 2008

Hollie-Anne Brooks dresses for the perfect trench coat.

Why was my lazy Heat magazine reading Sunday spoiled when I was informed I'd be dragged around yet more shops Christmas shopping? There I was, plain vest and nice jeans, all snuggled up on the sofa with the papers and some magazines and ready to spend the day lipstick and care free. But my mother had other ideas.



Again, it wasn't bad. I tried to ignore the impending loom of Christmas Day and the current credit crunch by purchasing a few items for myself: an amazing statement necklace from New Look, frilly pants with purple flamingos on, a bath bomb from Lush... simple things. Toys R Us nearly killed me with the load of screaming children and whizzing lights from flashy toys but I got through.



The surprise smile of the day came from an early Christmas gift, however. Shopping in a favourite high street store of ours, my mother and I came across a beautiful looking trench coat- the buckle style detailing on the sleeves, the amazing neckline cut and the lenght all made it look appallingly pricey on the hanger and I was worried that once it was on my tall but apple figure, it wouldn't look like the dream it had hanging up in the store. But it did! Hell, I'd even go as far as saying it looked better. The neckline sat perfectly on me to give that super smart but sexy look and the belt around my waist made me look more Marilyn Monroe than Space Hopper. My mother very kindly offered to purchase it for me and took delight in seeing me twirl around in ultimate happiness in the trench I'd be craving for several years. I can't quite afford a Burberry just yet so this will come second best. I can't wait to wear it for my lecture tomorrow evening with my new plum colour corsage pinned to it that I'd purchases from H&M several days ago.



But, as much as I love my new high street one, I'm going for the perfect trench today in my blog. And it is, of course, the Burberry London Windsor trench. Oh, if only! Underneath I've gone for a glam look in the form of a pretty little Diane von Furstenberg lace top and some True Religion skinny jeans. Accessories are kept simple with a nude and grey theme to compliment the top and trench so I've used some stupidly beautiful nude Louboutin heels and Proenza Schouler grey and nude clutch. I'd wear this out for dinner with MYB or perhaps to a work event; thing is, I'd never want to take the coat off even if the underneath did look that good!