Monday 30 March 2009

Hollie-Anne Brooks dresses for lolita.

I finally bought the iconic book that is 'Lolita' by Vladimir Nabokov. I knew it would be a difficult read and I knew it would be a rather odd read but, around twenty pages in, I am also finding the book appallingly beautiful. The use of language is extraordinary and I am truly captivated.

I sat in Starbucks with the book and was surrounded by a group of yummy mothers who were having a baby group of sorts and, when I sat in the only available chair and opened up Lolita, I felt a little strange. I discussed the very matter of the slightly odd feeling of reading Lolita and my male friend, a literary lover, said he'd feel he'd be frowned up were he to read it despite it being a classic.

Personally, whether the subject matter is peculiar or not, Vladmiri Nabokov's writing is spectacular.

I'm dressing for a sunny day reading! I've gone for a plain scoop neck tee from Wet Seal, a blue flower necklace by Forever21 and some (almost!) matching earrings from Topshop. The main piece to this outfit is, of course, the See by ChloƩ skirt which is so pretty! I'm finished off with some Puma trainers and a gorgeous leather bag from Topshop.

Lolita.
Lolita. - by hollieanne on Polyvore.com